Contrary to popular belief, filter change lights have nothing to do with a faulty water filter. These lights are actually set on a timer. The average fridge filter life is 6 months, so after resetting, the light is designed to turn red 6 months later. Resetting filter reset light will vary on the refrigerator brand and model.
To reset your refrigerator filter light, follow these easy steps:
- Locate your filter
- Amana – Press the “Auto” and “Dispenser Lock” buttons and hold until the water filter status indicator light flashes.
- Frigidaire – Press the “Reset” button and hold. This causes the indicator light to flash.
- GE (General Electric) – Press and hold for 10 seconds the “Reset” button.
- HotPoint – Press and hold for 10 seconds the “Reset” button.
- Jenn-Air – Press the “Light” and “Lock” buttons and hold. This lasts for about 5-10 seconds or until the filter light flashes.
- Kitchen Aid – Press and release the “Light” button 5 times quickly.
- Maytag – Press the “Light” and “Lock” buttons and hold. This can take up to 5-10 seconds or until the filter light flashes.
- Samsung – Press and hold the “Ice Type” and “Child Lock” buttons at the same time for 3-5 seconds. (Ice Type can be ‘Cubed’ or ‘Crushed’).
- Whirlpool – Press and release the “Light” button 5-6 times quickly. This looks like a small plunger, and is located at the top or bottom of the door (i.e. where the door closes).
- Flush water through the filter. These will help activate the carbon in the filter to make sure it will trap harmful chemicals found in your drinking water.
In general, the filter light allows you to know how the filter is working. If the light is green, the filter is working properly and does not need to be changed. If the light is yellow, the filter is in the middle of its life expectancy. Once the filter is red, it is time to change your filter soon.